Full Time Position
WAW is seeking a creative and energetic individual to manage, coordinate, strengthen and diversify our fundraising in all areas: foundations, individual donors, social media/online and special events. The Development Manager will be an exceptional communicator (written and verbal), a seasoned fundraising professional (5 years experience) and will be expected to represent the agency in all fundraising settings, particularly when the Executive Director is in Afghanistan. The Development Manager will report to the Executive Director, and will work closely with the ED and board. WAW's Development Assistant will report to the Development Manager. Travel to Afghanistan will be required, perhaps once a year. Occasional travel within the United States will also be required.
The Development Manager will be responsible for:
- Managing WAW’s State Department Grant: The Development Manager will be responsible for managing the Dept. of State contract(s) which are funding this position. This would amount to 25% of the person’s time, and will include assuring necessary programmatic and financial data collection from all 8 provinces where WAW operates, and the completion of quarterly reports. The Development Manager will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with the extensive and shifting regulations of the US Government and more specifically the State Dept.
- WAW Fundraising Plan: The Development Manager will be responsible for working closely with ED to create an annual fundraising plan with goals and evaluation for each aspect of WAW’s fundraising activities (foundation fundraising, individual donor fundraising, social media fundraising and event fundraising). WAW’s fundraising plan must address the need to build and sustain WAW’s work both in Afghanistan and in New York.
- Development Systems and Infrastructure: The Development Manager must ensure the efficient functioning of all development systems including: timely data entry into contact database; training of administrative staff on database and other technology; regular and goal-oriented development-related meetings and conference calls; schedules for appropriate correspondence for different types of donors; etc; regular and comprehensive reporting to board.
- Develop New Donor Prospects: The Development Manager must devote significant time and effort to expand the pool of donors through strategies including prospect research for all arenas in which WAW fundraises (foundations, corporations, individuals). The Development Manager must mobilize the development team (ED, board, staff, volunteers, etc) to follow up on promising prospects appropriately and ensure that detailed notes are kept in the database.
- Proposals and Reports: The Development Manager is responsible for the creation and submission of compelling and timely proposals, reports and other donor communications including direct mail letters.
- Donor Cultivation -- Relationship Building: The Development Manager will make sure that WAW maintains personal, individualized relationships with our funders, both current and past. This includes foundation funders, corporate funders and individuals. This will necessitate mobilizing the ED and board members to stay in contact with funders, and also working towards the presence and participation of WAW staff/board in funder events and conferences.
- Special Events: The Development Manager will make sure that all volunteers and supporters who wish to hold fundraising events for WAW receive all the assistance and materials they need. The Development Manager, along with WAW ED and board, will build on WAW’s successful 2011 gala to plan future high-calibre fundraising events.
- Board Development: WAW is making a conscious shift away from a working board involved in day-to-day operations and programs to an organization where the board plays more of a governance and ambassadorial role. While the board will have a big fundraising responsibility, it will be with the parameters set by the fundraising strategy and plan which is created by the ED. The Development Manager will play a key role in helping the organization make this critical transition. WAW hopes to recruit new board members with fundraising contacts and skills--the Development Manager will be required to guide this process, directing the activities of board members and providing support particularly by training new board members and team-building.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead fundraising at both a strategic and implementation level..
- Creativity, attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
- Proficiency with computers and databases Microsoft Office a must; Filemaker a plus.
- Willingness to travel to Afghanistan once a year.
- Five years of experience in development work--in two or more of the following areas: grant and report writing, individual donor cultivation, corporate fundraising, online fundraising, special events.
- The ability to take initiative while remaining open to ideas of others
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable
- The ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines
- The capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work with diverse volunteer base in a bottom-up grassroots organization.
PREFERRED: The following areas of experience preferred but not required:
- Non-profit management
- Women’s human rights advocacy
- Government grants at all three levels of government.
- Experience doing women’s rights work with immigrants in the United States and/or in another country.
- Salary 60K plus health benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
|< Prev||Next >|